The Government of Ghana has concluded negotiations with the owners of AirtelTigo; Bharti Airtel Ghana Holdings B.V. and MIC Africa B.V for the transfer of shares of the company to the State following the company’s decision to exit the Ghanaian market last year.
As a result of this agreement all customers, assets and agreed liabilities of AirtelTigo will be transferred to the Government of Ghana.
The Minister of Communications and Digitalisation, Mrs Ursula Owusu-Ekuful revealed this in a press statement issued Friday, April 16, 2021.
“We consider this a positive step as it adds to the growing portfolio of digital infrastructure assets being utilised by the government,” a government statement said.
“Government will operate this national asset in the best interest of the nation, the company, telecommunications industry, and ensure the protection of the interests of all employees, customers, contractors, suppliers, stakeholders and sustain the digital transformation of Ghana.”
Mrs. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful signed on behalf of the Government while Ms. Jatina Catharina Uneken-van de Vreede, Mr. Martin P Frechette, Mr. Timothy Pennington, Mr. Eric Nana Nipah and Mr. Vish Ashiagbor signed on behalf of the seller entities.
Airtel and Millicom announced in October 2020 that they were leaving the Ghanaian telecommunication market and this agreement brings finality to the extensive negotiations between the parties to ensure a smooth transition and continued operation of AirtelTigo afterwards.
“The telecommunications sector is of strategic importance to the government, and it is critical the sector remains healthy, dynamic, vibrant and most importantly, competitive. We are determined to make Ghana the digital hub of the subregion and this acquisition is a step in the right direction,” the government said in a statement.